The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) has released its first policy statement on “The Impact of Racism on Child and Adolescent Health.” AAP put out the call to action in their journal Pediatrics, describing the profound impact racism has on child health and the role of child health professionals in addressing racism.
The statement covers:
- Racism as a core determinant of child health;
- The development of race as a construct;
- Childhood experiences of racism;
- Racism at the intersection of education and child and adolescent health; and
- How pediatricians can address and ameliorate the effects of racism on children and adolescents.